Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Social and Cultural Effects of Technology.

One of the readings this week and the class discussion yesterday really sparked my interest. The essay by Philip Brey entitled "Evaluating the Social and Cultural Implications of the Internet" was specifically what I found interesting. I think the opinions people have about whether or not the internet, and technology in general, are harmful or beneficial to society are intriguing. I personally could never put my finger on which side I am on, but generally lean more towards the idea that technology benefits our lives and makes it easier. However, I do understand where the other side is coming from. There are definitely harmful areas of technology.

Philip Brey's main idea throughout the essay is that there is no right or wrong answer; it depends on your values, and personal opinions. There are a LOT of circumstances to take into consideration, which make it very hard to decide one way or the other which one is correct. Not only does it depend on your values, but it also depends on what you are using the internet for, how old you are, and what specific incidents you have had personally with a benefit or harm from the internet. There are also some areas that are almost always perceived as benefits and harms no matter where you come from, of which the majority of people agree are one or the other. He says, "for instance, nearly everyone agrees that the Internet has the benefit of making a large amount of useful information easily available, and nearly everyone agrees that the Internet can also be harmful by making dangerous, libelous and hateful information available".

Some of the perceived benefits include access to information, information dissemination, communication, developing and maintaining social relations, community formation and social organization, production and commerce, leisure and entertainment, and the list goes on. However, many of these benefits have harms affiliated with them. With access to information there is also information overload, false information, harmful information. There is harmful communication, harmful effects on social relations, etc.

It is inevitable that there will be pros and cons to almost anything--including the Internet and technology. Nothing is perfect. So the question is, is it worth it? Is the convenience of technology worth the possible harms that may come from it? The miscommunications due to lack of emotion behind the words? The false information we may find on Wikipedia? The ability to illegally copy and reproduce digital media, which then causes sales to go down for that specific thing? The psychological problems that may develop from creating an alternative life in cyberspace?

Obviously everyone will have their own opinion. Personally, I think it is worth it. I understand that there are an infinite of possibilities that can happen and may even be harmful, but I think the good is far greater. Communicating with people internationally in a mere second through email, shopping online, getting any question I have answered in minutes or less, the ability to learn anything I want to by looking online, and even being able to publicly post my feelings on this blog, which exercises my freedom of speech--these are all far greater rewards that come from technology than the chance of something happening that is harmful. I feel like for every time something harmful comes from technology for me, there are at least 10 good things that come.

I know that this is just my opinion and I am sure there are many people who will disagree, especially since I love technology so much so perhaps I am a little biased, but I feel like my reasons are valid and I am being fair in my thought process and in determining what me feelings really are. Prior to this article I was undecided, and pretty neutral, most likely because I hadn't given it tons of thought and really analyzed everything that could potentially come from the internet. Either way, I believe technology is great. I love it and I can't get enough of it.

2 comments:

  1. "especially since I love technology so much so perhaps I am a little biased"

    Kip (Napoleon Dynamite): "Why do you love me? Why do you need me? Always and forever... We met in a chatroom, now our love can fully bloom... Sure the world wide web is great, but you, you make my salivate... I love technology, but not as much as you, you see... But I STILL love technology... Always and forever. Our love is like a flock of doves, flying up to heaven above... always and forever, always and forever... Why do you need me? Why do you love me? Always and forever..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. good connection with the reading - now start looking for current events and implications that lead you in one path or the other :)

    ReplyDelete